Learning how to relax is a great and very effective way to help you manage anxiety, depression, stress, social anxiety or other related issues.
There are so many different ways to relax that it can be hard to find out which techniques will work for you. I’m going to post some techniques on this page that help me to relax and also those which are proven to work for other people – everyone is different – find what works for you.
How to Relax
- Accept: No matter what causes you to become stressed or anxious, accepting that you need to relax is the first step. You don’t need to feel guilty for not doing something productive – everyone needs a time out sometimes to relax.
- Breathing: Focusing on your breathing and slowing it down is key to being able to relax. Meditation and Yoga are effective ways to focus on your breathing.
- Look After Yourself: If you aren’t getting enough sleep, exercise or if you don’t have a healthy diet, these can all contribute to feelings of stress and anxiety – ultimately, making it harder to relax.
- Think Positive: Dwelling on whatever is making you anxious/stressed/depressed can increase your feelings of stress, anxiety or depression – If you try to think positive it will help you to relax.
- Take Some Time For Yourself: Get a massage, go to a spa, have a long bath, listen to music, do something that you enjoy (hobbies) – doing something that you love can provide comfort and really help you to relax.
On this page I will post specific ways that you can relax – but also make sure to check out the other Self-Help pages Exercise and Music. Exercise is where you will find Yoga in particular.